Where does ‘Portugal 2015’ begin?

The car on the driveway with lots of weeds

Hello! It feels like it has been a very very long time since I blogged and it really has been! It’s been nearly 3 months. Last week my parents, Rob and Sue, arrived back to their home in Central Portugal to begin a new year there.

As always they took the ferry with their two dogs, Poppy and Scrappy, from the south coast of England down to Santander in Spain. The ferry was packed and the kennels were full of yappy dogs. It was a calm sailing but the dogs were quite stressed out for a couple of days afterwards – I blame the yappy dogs. Once they arrived in the port of Santander they drove the rest of the way in one hit, which involved driving through a blizzard in Spain.

From leaving their front door in England it took roughly 33 hours. They had packed the car with all of their home comforts, including 1, 000 tea bags, 5 jars of horse radish, 2 large bottles of HP sauce, 4 packets of suet (for beef stew and dumplings), 4 large packets of gingersnaps and they still managed to fit the dogs in!

photo 4photo 3

They arrived at about midnight to a very dark, cold house. When Mum went around to open the gate she nearly tripped over some scaffolding where we were having the side wall of the house repainted whilst they were away.

photo 2 (3)

It had been roughly 4 months since my parents were last at the house. Most of the plants had survived (thanks to a neighbour taking care of them) but the driveway was covered in weeds and there was debris from the trees everywhere. It was lovely to see that the oranges were ready for eating and there were new buds on the fig tree.

photo 4 (1)

photo 2 (2)

photo 3 (1)photo 2 (2)

The plan for the next few days is to ‘wake the house up’ and say hello to the neighbours, but the first job is to open all of the windows and doors to get rid of the radon. As the house is largely made from granite it fills up quickly with the radioactive gas radon, which sounds terrifying but it’s a problem that a lot of granite-built houses in the area encounter. Next is to clean the house from top to bottom before visiting the shops to stock up on food.

They’re really excited to be back but since arriving Mum was stung by a nasty wasp, Dad hurt his knee and could barely walk, Poppy was physically sick after licking up some spilt oil and, for a change, Scraps is all OK! I am tempted to get a flight over there just to supervise them. They are recovering from their little hiccups and are putting together a list of projects that they’d like to achieve this summer, which I’ll blog about soon. Until then, tarrraaa!

Tags: garden, gardening, travel

Related Posts

Previous Post Next Post


    • Sue Peacock
    • April 2, 2015

    What an eventful few days!

      • Laura
      • April 5, 2015

      Indeed it has been, Sue! I think that their lives are busier now than they were when they both worked. My next post is out on Tuesday and you\’ll get to hear what they\’ve been up to. :)

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: